Friday, November 7, 2008

President -Elect Barack Obama!!!


Well!!! Where do I start? This is the Friday after the election, and I am still not sure if I was dreaming or if it is real, Barack Obama (an African American) is the President of the United States. How did this happen? It just leaves me speechless!

Never could I have imagined, In my lifetime I would witness the election of an African American becoming President of this country. But I just did.

Alone at home with my daughter's cat Nala, I witnessed one of the greatest moments in world history. A moment that left me weeping like a baby. The visual images of the event will forever be ingrained in my spirit. This moment goes down in history as the most historic event of the century.

The visuals of the election and the moment of jubilation are monumental. I know what I felt at that moment, but I wonder what emotions and feelings were running through President-elect Obama at the moment he realized he had won the election. And the reality that he is the President of the United States. I can only imagine.

So in honor to President-elect Barack Obama, this post will focus on him and his election.
The images represent the some of the visuals that enter the world of politics.

And to President Obama, (if you read this blog), you give me hope, that there will be a spiritual, racial, and financial healing for this country. May God Bless You, and the world embrace you for the person that you are. Thanks!
- Gloria D. Brogdon

A Visual Tribute To President - Elect Obama






5 comments:

  1. This post is a good example of the use of symbols and icons in a political campaign. This one will be studied for years to come. The Obama campaign used the net so effectively that even the Clintons and "Swiftboaters" couldn't stop it. Then the people began creating their own media expressions which took it to another level that guarranteed it could not be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I hope for is now that Obama is President Obama, people will give him time to put in motion his plans for change. We are an inpatient nation, that wants everything yesterday. Further, we are a selfish nation, meaning if I'm not pleased then President Obama is the scum of the earth. Winning the election was the hard part. The near impossible part is getting congress to buy into his plan, keeping people patient enough for it to work and finally, showing enough results that in 2012 he can keep his job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never before has there been a candidate that inspired so much hope -- around the world -- and here in the U.S. In what past elections have there been watch parties in TIMES SQUARE? In Australia? In Kenya? People in the streets awaiting the election outcome...There are no words to express the anticipation I felt that night. We must remember that WE really are the change we want to see. Obama cannot do anything by himself. We've all played a part in screwing up the country. We have to be involved in the solution. I am greatly disturbed by the under reported discontent felt by those who'd rather be dead than live in a country where the president is black. I don't get how anybody can think he could possibly be worse than what we've had the last 8 looonnngggg years. For crying out loud, at least Obama can pronounce "America." I pray for the Obamas everyday. Pray for wisdom, guidance and yes, safety. Because there are some crazy folk in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this! Loved the visuals which are now iconic! To think that I lived to see this in my lifetime and that the world has been forever changed has given me hope. I too wept like a baby, I fell to my knees and wept openly and without reserve or embarassment. I embraced and was embraced by complete and total strangers and yet felt as though I was among old friends. We were forever bonded by that singular moment of solidarity and true unity. Job well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that night like it was yesterday. I was on the edge of my bed like, PLEASE WIN VIRGINIA!!!! and he did and that's when I just realized that I lived to see a African American take office in the white house. It was my first time voting and I just felt sooo good when I left the polls, it was raining and windy but I picked my daughter up from the baby sitter and went straight here. Words can't describe how much he really inspires me to do what I want to do and believe that it can actually come true.

    ReplyDelete